Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Stu Clarkson Revisited


Clarkson in Chicago Bears uniform.

I've noticed a lot of interest in my old posting on Stu Clarkson, the Sugar Land High assistant football coach who died while the Gators played Hitchcock in October, 1957.

I want to thank Dot Hightower & her daughter Scotty for letting me scan these newspaper articles in their archive.  There's some good info about his background, but they don't mention that Clarkson was in the Normandy landing during WWII at Utah Beach.  His Wikipedia entry mentions it.

This first article comes from The Texas Coaster, I think.  Note that players & students from Sugar Land attended his funeral in Corpus Christi.


The final paragraphs of this article are missing, plus most of its info is repeated in other articles in this posting.  I've included it here because of Jess Neely's comment at the bottom of the second column.


I'm not certain which paper published this next article.  It elaborates on Clarkson's career at Texas A&I, particularly the game against A&M in 1940.


This next article appeard in The Corpus Christi Times on November 4th, 1957.  It discusses Clarkson's high school, college & pro  football careers.  There's also some quotes from Dugan Hightower, head coach, about their teams at Sugar Land High.


This final item is a letter George Halas sent in response to Dugan Hightower's letter informing the Chicago Bears owner & coach that one of his former players had died suddenly.