Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Humble Camp Update


My aunt, Mayme Rachuig Hause, sent me a couple more items about the Humble Camp. The first is a layout of the camp as she remembers it. The second is her short memoir of growing up out there. I enjoyed reading it.

You'll see that I was incorrect last week, when I said there were no stores out at the Camp. My aunt mentions the Erlichs, who ran the small store until 1940. Wayburn Hall (SLHS '43) told me his family moved out to the camp & ran it from 1940 to '42. Sugarland Industries operated the store rather than Humble Oil Company. Here's what Mr. Hall said:
"Chuck, my Family lived at the Humble Camp from about 1940 to 1942 in a house owned by Sugarland Industries. It was the first house on the left upon entering the Humble Camp. One of the pictures in your blog has a small building with a front porch in the front. I believe this was next to the house we lived in. Sugar Land Industries did operate some kind of a store there. The store had long been closed before we moved there. I knew all the people in the Humble Camp in the early 1940s."
I know the Industries allowed some Humble people to occupy houses in Sugar Land. My grandparents lived for a few months in the last small, brick house on Brooks Street when they first moved to Sugar Land in 1932. As soon as their house at the Camp was built, they moved out there.

Notice that Gulf Oil Company had an office at the camp. The field required co-operation between various companies, so Humble wasn't the only company working that field.

Link to diagram of Humble Camp

Link to memoir of life in the Humble Camp