Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sugar Festival, April 1956


The following article appeared in the Imperial Crown published in April 1956.  It describes that year's Sugar Festival, an annual event held each spring through the 1950s.

  
The program below is a little hard to decipher, but essentially, members of each class (first graders through high school seniors) were presented at the festival's royal court.  The night's events included entertainment performed by other students.  I recognize many names listed in the program.
 
    Page 4 left - Page 1 right
      Page 2 left - Page 3 right

2nd Grade Nobility: Jody Frierson & Calvin Rozelle
5th Grade Nobility: Bobbye Zalokar & Joe Middlebrooks
Elementary Court
 
A personal note: I'm the little twerp sitting on Dr. Wheeler's left.  Gregory Muehr, William Hollemon, and I were commandeered from Mr. Boyer's kindergarten to act as scepter bearers and crown bearers.  I remember the event real well, or so I thought until I found this program.  

I always thought Joan Chambers was Queen of the Elementary Court, but I was wrong.  She was Joan Tupper.  I suppose I was dazzled by her beauty and never got her name right, but then I was just 6-years old and had never met royalty before.