Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sugar Land Railroad Round House


The Sugar Land Railroad was one of several subsidiaries under the Sugarland Industries holding company.  It has a convoluted history, which I'll save for a later date.  The railroad owned several engines and at least one private car for William T. Eldridge's personal use.  I hope to have more on those items, too.  What I've got now is a picture of the round house where they moved/rotated engines on various tracks. 

Here's a photo of an engine near near the round house. Notice its antique configuration; for example, its smoke stack is fairly high for the size of the engine, which is relatively small.  As far as I know, these engines never ran on the Southern Pacific tracks that parallel Highway-90A. 


David Chernosky has pointed out the location of the round house.  I was surprised to learn it sat between the old John Deere building and Cleveland Lake.  I've marked an aerial photo below.  Eldridge kept his rail car in a  shed by the round house.  It may be the same building where the arrow points in the aerial photo.  I'll have to talk with David about this.