Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Friday, October 7, 2011

Gator Football Open Dates


I've been printing newspaper articles & memorabilia on the Sugar Land Gator football seasons of '51 & '56.  Those were memorable season's in Sugar Land High's football history.  Ironically, both teams had bye-weeks 55 & 60 years ago.

I have two items this week to fill my weekly progress report.  The first is a newspaper article on the '56 B-team's victory over Garwood.  The B-team, or JV team as sub-varsity teams are now called, was not idle in 1956.


My second item is about sports medicine back when it was fairly rudimentary.  I interviewed some old Gators a couple of years ago, & they recollected how injuries were treated back in the stone age.  The link below will take you to a 4-minute recording of their recollections.


Leon Anhaiser ('57) sent me a note about a treatment Coach Hightower gave him back in the fall of '56.  Here's what he had to say:

Nothing is said about sports medicine in the 50s but it would be interesting.  We did not have the support of doctors on the sideline as they have today.  We had Dr. Slaughter in the stands on most occasions.  The coaching staff did most of the first aid.  I remember that all of the team members' ankles were taped before each game on Friday afternoon.  I took the first kick off against Katy in the 1956 game and sprained my ankle due to a tackler hanging onto it.  I took myself out of the game and Mr. Dzierzanowski re taped the ankle and I reentered the game.  I played only offense for the next two games.  Each day after school, I would go to Mr. Hightower's home on fourth street for treatment for the sprained ankle.  He would have a pot of hot oatmeal which he poured into a cotton bag and then wrapped it in a towel.  This was administered to the swollen ankle until the heat was gone.  Mr White was good at chiropractics and would give those who needed a back straighten on Monday morning if it was needed.  This is how I learned to treat my back myself.  Mr. White was very good at this.  Ray Barton had a hamstring injury his Junior year and spend half the season running up and down the football stadium steps to strengthen his leg while we practiced.  I am sure others will have some stories to add to this paragraph.


Leon